I’ve been having this thing with sweet potato, where it seems to end up in most of my dishes. So sneaky, yet so delicious. They made these brownies extra moist too and I ate like half the tray in one day. That either speaks for how tasty these are or the level of my potato addiction, not sure.
I added substitutions if you are vegan since the recipe does include animal by-products. Though I do recommend buying organic and local if you choose to go with the original recipe. That way you know your ingredients are clean (no antibiotics, added hormones, plus the diet those animals eat are most likely non-gmo and nourishing) and you can support local farmers too. (:
Sweet Potato Brownies
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 organic local eggs to make completely vegan you can try using 3 flax eggs and a banana instead, 1 egg = 1tbsp flax + 1tbsp water let sit for a minute. I tried making the vegan version with just the flax eggs and it came out in a poo consistency, still tasty but I think the banana might add texture
- 1/3 cup organic butter or ghee to make vegan you can try using 1/3 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey for vegans=maple syrup
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Chocolate Chips (Optional)
- Peel the sweet potato and then cut it into small chunks. Boil the sweet potato for 10 minutes, until it’s soft.
- In a food processor mix all ingredients together, except the chocolate chips. Add a little water if the consistency seems too dense, but it should be smooth and a little thick.
- Mix in the chocolate chips
- Put the mixture in a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes