Chunky Black Bean & Quinoa Chilli
As the seasons change and weather gets colder, we tend to gravitate to warm comfort foods. A big bowl of chilli is an easy way to satisfy this craving and still enjoy a healthy meal.
This recipe is full of fresh vegetables, fiber, protein and most importantly loads of flavour!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 16oz can diced tomato
- 2 14oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Optional garnish ideas: cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, nutritional yeast
Finely dice onion, bell pepper and celery ribs.
- Cut sweet potato into small cubes
- Heat large pot to medium temperature and add olive oil. Then transfer the onion, bell pepper, celery ribs, and sweet potato into it. Let sit for 5 minutes, until onion is translucent, constantly stir.
- Now add the spices and salt, let sit for 1-2 minutes. Add more oil if needed. *If you don't like spicy food, I suggest adding half the recommended amount for each spice and then adding onto them as you taste test*.
- Now add the diced tomatoes, broth, beans, cacao, corn and cooked quinoa. Let sit on medium-low heat for 15-25 minutes, until it becomes easy to put a fork through the sweet potato. Continue to stir occasionally.
- Taste test and see if you need to add extra salt.
- Once ready to serve, garnish with cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese and/or nutritional yeast.